Grand Rapids Theological Seminary promotes the rigorous study of Scripture and ancient languages. Each year, one of our expert faculty members leads the Thursday Evening Bible Class, a fall Bible teaching series offered on site at GRTS for the community. Comprised of biblical lectures, the classes typically run from eight to 10 weeks.
Thursday Evening Bible Class sessions are free and open to the public. More than a hundred individuals from the community attend each series, representing a variety of Christian denominations and associations.
Upcoming Class: The Letter to the Hebrews for the Church Today
Hebrews is in many ways the enigma of the New Testament: an exotic letter about priests, temples and sacrifice from an otherwise unknown author. And yet, this often marginalized canonical witness plumbs the depths of Christ's Incarnation in ways that go beyond what we find in the Gospels and letters of Paul.
This free lecture series will explore Hebrews' vision for the redemption of humanity and what this means for the church today.
- Facilitator: Dr. Max Botner, Assistant Professor of New Testament
- Class Dates: Sept. 12 - Oct. 31, 2019 (Thursday evenings only)
- Time: 7:30-8:30 p.m.
- Location: Pirsig/DeBruyn Chapel, Grand Rapids Theological Seminary
- Week 1 | Sept. 12, 2019
- Week 2 | Sept. 19, 2019
- Week 3 | Sept. 26, 2019
- Week 4 | Oct. 3, 2019
- Week 5 | Oct. 10, 2019
- Week 6 | Oct. 17, 2019
- Week 7 | Oct. 24, 2019
- Week 8 | Oct. 31, 2019
Audio Recordings of Past Classes
- Paul's Letters from Prison with Dr. Tim Gombis (2018)
- The Words and World of Jesus with Jennifer Greer (2017)
- Galatians with Dr. Tim Gombis (2016)
- Reflecting on the Gospel of Mark with Dr. Tim Gombis (2015)
- Faith, Doubt and a Life that Pleases God with Dr. Mike Wittmer (2014)
- Psalms Sampler with Dr. John Hilber* (2013)
- Ephesians: Participating in the Triumph of Christ with Dr. Tim Gombis (2012)
*Audio recordings for this class are available upon request. Call GRTS at 616.222.1422 for more information.