The ESL Endorsement is a 22 credit-hour program designed for certified K-12 teachers who wish to earn an endorsement to teach ESL in a public school.
- Program Length: 33 sessions
- Delivery Format: Blended
- Accelerated cohort model
- Flexible, convenient learning options
- Courses offered one at a time
- Total Endorsement Credit Hours: 22
- Career Opportunities:
- K-12 ESL teacher
- Adult ESL teacher
- Application Deadline: Rolling admission
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities. Send a completed transcript release form for each college you've attended to the PGS enrollment team, and we'll request your transcripts!
- Minimum 2.7 G.P.A. in undergraduate course work
- Two letters of recommendation
- Professional resume
If your primary language is not English, you must submit a TOEFL or IELTS score.
For admission to Cornerstone's ESL Endorsement program, you must achieve one of the following minimum scores:
- Paper-based TOEFL test: 577
- Computer-based TOEFL test: 233
- Internet-based TOEFL test: 90-91
- Minimum IELTS score: 7.0
To understand the total estimated cost for the ESL Endorsement, review a breakdown of expenses:
- Tuition Cost: $460 per credit hour
- Technology Fee: $40 per course
- Resource Fee: $75 per course
"My professors and the fellow students in my cohort have had a significant impact in my life, and this program has played an important role in both pointing me toward the next steps God has for me and preparing me to take them." —Hannah Thelander (M.A. '15)
Program Courses and Catalog
The ESL Endorsement requires completion of the following courses:
- Issues in TESOL (LIN-501) — 2 credit hours, 3 sessions
- TESOL Methodology I (LIN-565) — 3 credit hours, 5 sessions
- Introduction to Linguistics (LIN-525) — 3 credit hours, 6 sessions
- Advanced English Grammar (LIN-535) — 3 credit hours, 6 sessions
- Sociolinguistics (LIN-555) — 3 credit hours, 6 sessions
- Second Language Acquisition (LIN-556) — 3 credit hours, 6 sessions
- TESOL Capstone (LIN-594) — 5 credit hours, 7 sessions
Adding the ESL Endorsement to your Certification
If you are a certified teacher, and you are planning to add the ESL endorsement to your certificate, you will need to complete either the ESL Endorsement program or the Master of Arts in TESOL degree and pass the MTTC test. Download a study guide and choose English as a Second Language (086). Refer to the section below for more information regarding the MTTC test.
As of February 2011, most certification is handled online through the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS). To access the MOECS, users must have a valid Michigan Education Information System (MEIS), login name and password. If you do not have an MEIS login name and password, you need to first create an MEIS account.
Once you submit your application to the system, Cornerstone will be notified if you indicated in the application that you did your work here. We will review your academic record and any other criteria needed. When everything checks out, we will make the recommendation to the state and the system will send you a bill via email which you pay online as well. When the process is completed, you will be instructed to print off your certificate.
MTTC Test Information
- A minimum of 22 credits in TESOL (must include teaching ESL 60 hours within the practicum class LIN-594) or waiver of the teaching requirement, i.e., documentation for extensive teaching experience will be taken into consideration for waiver including the teaching experience within the LIN-594 class. Please note that all students must take LIN-594 with or without the teaching experience component.
- Application for additional endorsement.
- Passing score on MTTC test for "English as a Second Language" (this is also coded as "NS" or test "86"). Go to www.mttc.nesinc.com for specific dates and registration deadlines. MTTC testing dates are in October, January, April and July. In addition to the four paper-based tests, beginning 11/9/15 testing will be available as a computer-based test by appointment year-round, Monday through Saturday (excluding some holidays). There are additional fees for the computer-based test.
If you have questions about the system or the process, please call or email the certification office:
Certification Officer, Miller Hall
Phone | 616.222.1432
Email | email@example.com
Your Next Step
Join a cohort of professionals on the path toward advancement. To begin, submit your application now or schedule an appointment with an enrollment counselor.