The ESL Endorsement is a 22 credit-hour program designed for certified K-12 teachers who wish to earn an endorsement to teach ESL in a public school.
- Program Length: 9-14 months
- Delivery Format: On-site and blended
- Total Endorsement Credit Hours: 22
- K-12 ESL Teacher
- Adult ESL Teacher
To understand the total estimated cost for the ESL Endorsement, review a breakdown of expenses:
- Tuition Cost: $460 per credit hour
- Technology Fee: $40 per course
- Resource Fee: $75 per course
Adding the ESL Endorsement to your Certification
If you are a certified teacher, and you are planning to add the ESL endorsement to your certificate, you will need to complete either the ESL Endorsement program or the Master of Arts in TESOL degree and pass the MTTC test. Download a study guide and choose English as a Second Language (086). Refer to the section below for more information regarding the MTTC test.
As of February 2011, most certification is handled online through the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS). To access the MOECS, users must have a valid Michigan Education Information System (MEIS), login name and password. If you do not have an MEIS login name and password, you need to first create an MEIS account.
Once you submit your application to the system, Cornerstone will be notified if you indicated in the application that you did your work here. We will review your academic record and any other criteria needed. When everything checks out, we will make the recommendation to the state and the system will send you a bill via email which you pay online as well. When the process is completed, you will be instructed to print off your certificate.
Endorsement Courses and Catalog
The ESL Endorsement requires completion of the following courses:
- LIN-501 Issues in TESOL (2 credit hours, 3 sessions)
- LIN-565 TESOL Methodology I (3 credit hours, 5 sessions)
- LIN-525 Introduction to Linguistics (3 credit hours, 6 sessions)
- LIN-535 Advanced English Grammar (3 credit hours, 6 sessions)
- LIN-555 Sociolinguistics (3 credit hours, 6 sessions)
- LIN-556 Second Language Acquisition (3 credit hours, 6 sessions)
- LIN-594 TESOL Capstone (5 credit hours, 7 sessions)
MTTC Test Information
- A minimum of 22 credits in TESOL (must include teaching ESL 60 hours within the practicum class LIN-594) or waiver of the teaching requirement, i.e., documentation for extensive teaching experience will be taken into consideration for waiver including the teaching experience within the LIN-594 class. Please note that all students must take LIN-594 with or without the teaching experience component.
- Application for additional endorsement.
- Passing score on MTTC test for "English as a Second Language" (this is also coded as "NS" or test "86"). Go to www.mttc.nesinc.com for specific dates and registration deadlines. MTTC testing dates are in October, January, April and July. In addition to the four paper-based tests, beginning 11/9/15 testing will be available as a computer-based test by appointment year-round, Monday through Saturday (excluding some holidays). There are additional fees for the computer-based test.
If you have questions about the system or the process, please call or email the certification office:
Certification Officer, Miller Hall
Phone | 616.222.1432
Email | email@example.com