Dr. Joseph M. Stowell III serves as the president of Cornerstone University in Grand Rapids, Mich. He loves students and desires to provide an educational experience in which they are intellectually and spiritually stimulated to engage their world with the love of Christ.
An internationally recognized conference speaker, Joe has also written numerous books including "The Trouble with Jesus," "Following Christ," "Simply Jesus and You" and "Redefining Leadership." He also writes devotionals for Our Daily Bread. His life is marked by a deep love for Jesus, which is reflected in his desire to value people regardless of gender, race or class; to aid the poor and marginalized; to build a strong and vibrant community where the presence of Christ is evident; and to govern and lead in ways that engender mutual confidence and trust.
Dr. Stowell has a distinguished career in higher education and church leadership. He served as senior pastor of Southgate Baptist Church (Southgate, Ohio; 1970-76), Bible Baptist Church (Kokomo, Indiana; 1976-81) and Highland Park Baptist Church (Southfield, Michigan; 1981-87). From 1987-2005, he served as president of Moody Bible Institute, with oversight over the undergraduate and graduate schools, Moody Publishers and the Moody Broadcasting Network. Following his time at MBI, he served as teaching pastor at Harvest Bible Chapel in suburban Chicago, prior to assuming the presidency at Cornerstone in February 2008.
Joe also serves on the board of Wheaton College. He is a graduate of Cedarville University and Dallas Theological Seminary and has been honored with two doctor of divinity degrees from The Master's College (1987) and Huntington University (2011). He and his wife Martie have three adult children and ten grandchildren.
- Redefining Leadership: Character-Driven Habits of Effective Leaders (Zondervan, 2014)
- Jesus Nation: Belonging to and Becoming Part of the Greatest Nation Ever (Tyndale House Publishers, 2009)
- From the Front Lines: Perspectives from the Trenches of Life (Discovery House, 2007)
- The Upside of Down: Finding Hope When It Hurts (Discovery House Publishers, 2006)
- Radical Reliance: Living 24/7 With God at the Center (Discovery House, 2006)
- Simply Jesus and You: Experience His Presence and His Purpose (Multnomah, 2006)
- The Final Question of Jesus: How You Can Live the Answer Today (Multnomah, 2004)
- Why It's Hard to Love Jesus (Moody Publishers, 2003)
- The Trouble With Jesus (Moody Publishers, 2003)
- Simply Jesus: Experiencing the One Your Heart Longs For (Multnomah, 2002)
- Strength for the Journey: Day-by-Day With Jesus (Moody Publishers, 2002)
- Loving Christ: Recapturing Your Passion for Jesus (Zondervan, 2000)
- The Weight of Your Words: Measuring the Impact of What You Say (Moody Publishers, 1998)
- Far from Home: The Soul's Search for Intimacy With God (Moody Publishers, 1998)
- Shepherding the Church: Effective Spiritual Leadership in a Changing Culture (Moody Publishers, 1997)
- Following Christ: Experiencing Life the Way It Was Meant to Be (Zondervan, 1996)
- Interruptions: God's Unexpected Opportunities (Moody Publishers, 1996)
- Eternity: Reclaiming a Passion for What Endures (Moddy Publishers, 1995)
- Revelation (Zondervan, 1995)
- Overcoming Evil With Good: The Impact of a Life Well-Lived (Moody Publishers, 1995)
- Tongue in Check (Victor Books, 1994)
- Perilous Pursuits: Our Obessess With Significance (Moody Publishers, 1994)
- Shepherding the Church into the 21st Century (Victor Books, 1994)
- The Dawn's Early Light: Daring to Challenge the Deepening Darkness (Moody Publishers, 1990)
- Fan the Flame: Living Out Your First Love for Christ (Moody Publishers, 1986)
- Through the Fire (Victor Books, 1985)
- Kingdom Conflict: Personal Triumph in a Supernatural Struggle (Victor Books, 1985)